by Jim Masters • Jan 25, 2023
Each business day, MSSP Alert delivers this quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, security operations centers as a service (SOCaaS), managed detection and response (MDR), eXtended detection and response (XDR), threat hunters and MSP security providers — and those who partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically, one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Managing Editor Jim Masters: [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity Market News
1. CISA Releases Report: The Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) released its report and toolkit for K-12 institutions to help them better protect against cybersecurity threats. The report, “Partnering to Safeguard K-12 Organizations from Cybersecurity Threats,” provides recommendations and resources to help schools address cybersecurity risk. It also provides insight into the current threat landscape specific to the K-12 community and steps school leaders can take to strengthen cybersecurity.
2. Leadership Moves: NETSCOUT SYSTEMS, a provider of cybersecurity, service assurance and business analytics solutions, has appointed Shannon Nash and Marlene Pelage to the company’s board of directors.
3. Cyber Pros in Demand: Despite recent high-profile tech industry layoffs, demand for cybersecurity professionals remains high, reports CyberSeek. According to new data, the total number of employed cybersecurity workers held fairly steady in 2022 at around 1.1 million. Meanwhile, the number of online job postings edged down to 755,743 from 769,736 in the 12-month period ending in December 2022.
4. New eLearning Center Dedicated to Cyber Insurance: Cowbell, a provider of cyber insurance for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), has launched Cowbell Academy, which offers insurance agents and brokers lessons on cyber insurance. Cowbell Academy also offers complimentary continuing education credit courses to appointed agents, with a curriculum focused on cyber insurance in multiple U.S. states.
5. NetSPI Launches Research Group: NetSPI, an enterprise penetration testing and attack surface management specialist, announced a record fiscal year, achieving 58% organic revenue growth in 2022. Building on its momentum, NetSPI has formalized NetSPI Labs, a dedicated innovation group designed to deliver industry research to the security community and develop new solutions for the cybersecurity and vulnerability management challenges organizations face.
6. Product Enhancements: Lookout, an endpoint to cloud security company, announced increased functionality and feature enhancements to its Lookout Cloud Security Platform. The cloud-native platform now incorporates a unified policy framework for management and enforcement across all mobile devices, in addition to cloud, internet and private apps, the company said.
7. Free Cybersecurity Service Offered: Wing Security, a software-as-a-service (SaaS) security platform provider, announced that its non-intrusive discovery engine is now free. Wing provides companies with a detailed view of their SaaS layer, including security score, potential vulnerability insights, compliance information and detailed user data, for the first 100 SaaS applications.
8. Leadership Appointment: Delinea, a provider of privileged access management (PAM) solutions, has hired David Castignola as chief revenue officer. Castignola brings more than 25 years of leadership experience in cybersecurity, including 20 years at RSA culminating as the leader of the global sales team.